- A maximális 30 TB tárolókapacitás megkönnyítése, az előző generáció kapacitásának kétszerese.
- Költséghatékony, biztonságos és hosszú távú adattárolás
- Gyors adatátviteli sebesség 750MB / sec.
Adhering to the 8th-generation LTO Ultrium* standards for magnetic tape storage media, the LTO8 will allow for backup and archive of large-capacity data, using the barium ferrite (BaFe) magnetic particles with its outstanding recording/retrieval performance and long-term durability. It offers a storage capacity of 30TB (12TB for non-compressed data), twice the capacity of the previous generation**. It is also capable of transferring data at 750MB/sec. (360MB/sec. for non-compressed). With its ability to provide secure and long term storage of massive data at a low cost, LTO8 responds to the increasing demand for data storage.
The amount of data generated worldwide has exponentially increased in recent years with the expansion of high-definition 4K and 8K video, development of IoT and ICT and the utilization of AI for Big Data analysis. This includes “cold-data,” or data that was generated a long time ago and rarely accessed, and is estimated to account for more than 80% of all data. As the utilization of accumulated data, including cold data, rapidly increases, so does the need for reliable and cost effective long term storage of such data for future use. Magnetic tapes have been used among major data centers and research organizations for many years as magnetic tapes not only offer large storage capacity, low cost and long-term storage performance, but also create “air gap” data protection, physically isolated from the network, which minimize the risk of data damage or loss caused by cyber attacks. In the future, magnetic tapes are expected to be used in cutting edge research fields where generate a large amount of data, such as AI / IoT-based smart manufacturing to achieve high-quality and highly efficient production, and future connected cars.
Fujifilm has developed the fine BaFe magnetic particles with outstanding magnetic properties and long-term storage performance and launched the world’s first commercial BaFe data storage cartridge in 2011. In 2012, the company launched LTO6, the first LTO Ultrium Standard data cartridge product using BaFe magnetic particles. Foreseeing the capacity limitations in the traditional metal magnetic particles, Fujifilm’s early commercialization of BaFe magnetic tapes has allowed the company to consistently lead the market.
With LTO8, Fujifilm has further developed its unique “NANOCUBIC technology***” to produce even smaller BaFe magnetic particles than those used in the LTO7. The magnetic particles are separated by highly controlled dispersion process and the tape surface roughness is controlled, achieving smooth surface of magnetic layer with enhanced NANO coating technology. In this way, Fujifilm has increased the storage capacity up to 30TB (12TB for non-compressed data), twice the capacity of LTO7, high speed data transfer reaching750MB/sec. (360MB/sec. for non-compressed data). Furthermore, appropriate material design has allowed for high tracking performance and durability for the magnetic heads in the tape drives, boost reliability showing stable and excellent performance.
Since the launch of LTO1 in 2000, Fujifilm has consistently developing high-performance and high-quality magnetic tapes with large data capacity. As the world’s top*4 manufacturer of magnetic tapes for data storage, Fujifilm will continue to develop and supply high-performance and high-quality media and services that satisfy customer needs and expectations, thereby helping to solve social issues.
- *Linear Tape-Open, LTO, the LTO logo, Ultrium and the Ultrium logo are registered trademarks of Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM and Quantum in the United States of America and in other countries.
- **FUJIFILM LTO Ultrium7 Data Cartridge that complies with the 7th-generation LTO Ultrium standards
- ***Fujifilm’s nanotechnology-based magnetic tape technology with thin coating to achieve high-density magnetic data recording. It consists of the “nano-particle technology” for formulating magnetic particles into nano-sized particles, “nano-dispersion technology” for evenly dispersing and arranging nano-sized magnetic particles, and “nano-coating technology” for achieving the coating of the ultra-thin layer.
- *4Manufacturer share, according to Fujifilm data
1. Product name:
FUJIFILM LTO Ultrium8 Data Cartridge
2. Release date:
September 2, 2019
3. Model numbers, packaging formats and prices:
|Model number||Packaging format|
|LTO FB UL-8 12.0T J*5||5 cartridges x 4|
|LTO FB UL-8 WORM 12.0T J*6||5 cartridges x 4|
|LTO FB UL-8 12.0T ECO J*7||20 cartridges x 1|
- *5“Re-writable type” that allows data to be re-written
- *6“Write Once, Read Many (WORM) type” that allows data to be written just once so as to prevent data tampering or accidental deletion
- *7The “ECO pack” is a pack of 20 cartridges in minimum-required plain packaging that eliminates individual plastic cases, etc. for cartridges.
4. Main features:
(1) Unique BaFe magnetic particles to achieve the storage capacity of 30TB
- Fujifilm has developed its unique NANOCUBIC technology*** to produce even smaller BaFe magnetic particles than those used in the LTO7. The magnetic particles are separated by highly controlled dispersion process evenly dispersed and the tape surface roughness is controlled, achieving smooth surface of magnetic layer with enhanced NANO coating technology. The data recording density has also been improved to record 6,656 data tracks in 12.65mm-wide tape to achieve the storage capacity of 30TB (12TB for non-compressed data), double the capacity of the LTO7.
(2) Advanced level of convenience and reliability
- LTO8 allows for high speed data transfer at 750MB/sec. (360MB/sec. for non-compressed data)
- It provides high quality signal and low error rate. In addition, appropriate material design has allowed for high tracking performance and durability for the magnetic heads in the tape drives, boosting reliability with stable and excellent performance.
(3) Perfect media for cold storage, offering secure and long-term storage of massive data at a low cost
- The LTO8 has superior TCO*8 to HDD, capable of holding large amount of cold data in low cost.
- Create “air gap” data protection, physically isolated from the network, which minimize the risk of data damage or loss caused by system failures, infection with computer viruses and cyberattacks.
- An accelerated life test*9 has indicated that magnetic tape, with greater stability, is reliable to store data for more than 50 years.
- *8Total Cost of Ownership, which encompasses all costs associated with the introduction of a storage drive, server, etc., including initial cost, cost of maintenance and cost of electricity consumed.
- *9According to data by the JEITA’s Tape Storage Technical Committee
5. Main specifications:
|Capacity (at 2.5x compression)||12TB (30TB)|
|Maximum transfer rate (at 2.5x compression)||360MB/sec. (750MB/sec.)|
|Number of tracks||6,656 (32 track heads in the serpentine format)|
|Cartridge memory||130,816Bits (16,352byte); internal EEPROM with electromagnetic induction antenna|
|Tape width||12.65 mm|
|Tape thickness||5.6 μm|
|Tape length||960 m|